Squishy Diary, Volume 2
Posted by Alex Jordan on
Oh, hey, look, it's another development video:
I'm going to try and pace these videos a little better in the future. I recognize now that during the 17 some odd Development Diaries for Around The World, I was releasing videos left and right for even the most banal updates. I'll try and be a little more... discerning... in the future.
Anyway, lots of new shit in this clip:
- New physical items, including the Spring and the Bubble Maker
- Specific physical responses for those items, including bouncing other physical objects off of Springs and using Bubbles to move physical objects on a linear path
- Properly implemented obstacles, such as Buzzsaws and Spikes
- A brand spanking new Particle System
- Particle System FX, including star impacts when you flick an object, blood squirts from Critters landing on spikes, and a blood and bone spray when you launch a Critter into a buzzsaw
However, if you look carefully, you'll notice something that isn't working in this video: collisions. The collision code is incorrectly treating individual blocks as if they weren't surrounded by other blocks. The result is that sometimes a physical object will bounce off a face of a block that was actually directly abutting another block. This occurs because the game calculates the collision with that block before it even checks if there's any other blocks nearby. This issue is a bit of a head scratcher for me, but 2D platformers are about 30 years old at this point, so I'm sure somebody has documented the issue somewhere.
In other news, I discussed the game's imminent name with my Penny Arcade Forums brethren, and they've approved. I plan on announcing the name shortly, although I'd prefer to do it after I've done even more work on the game. We'll see!