What I'm NOT Playing, November 2009
Posted by Alex Jordan on
Well, let's see, I never beat the Brutal Legend demo, and although I'm impressed with Mount & Blade, I haven't been able to spend much time with it. I've got the Left 4 Dead 2 demo sitting here, not to mention the Torchlight demo, but I haven't had time to so much as start them yet.
As someone with a full-time job, a functional social life, and enough Portuguese-Catholic guilt to remind me that I should be programming my own game instead of frivolously playing others, I am well aware that there aren't enough hours in the day.
However, if money weren't an issue, and the day was, say... 28 hours long, I'd be wallowing in these titles for the month of November:
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, because Infinity Ward's scripted sequences and over-the-top altercations always manage to impress me. Their multiplayer kicks ass, too.
- Borderlands, because who doesn't want to play a cel-shaded, post-apocalyptic shooter RPG?
- Assassin's Creed 2, because I loved the flawed original, and there's no way in hell I'm going to avoid a sequel set in Renaissance Italy.
- Dragon's Age: Origins, because Bioware fantasy RPGs are among the best, and everything I've seen about this new IP suggests a bold take on a familiar genre
- Mass Effect, because it's another Bioware game that I have yet to play, and it costs, like, $10 everywhere I've been looking!
- Operation Flashpoint 2 and Armed Assault 2, because I lost about 4 years of my life to playing cooperative missions on the original Operation Flashpoint.
And that's just what I can remember. Some of those games are already out, some will come out shortly, but this appears to be another holiday season to rival 2007 (obviously, as I've listed a ton of sequels to 2007's release).
But, again, I'm a fairly responsible person who doesn't have the time or the money to do all these things. Besides, the few of you that read this blog should know that I'm not trying to emulate Penny Arcade or Joystiq and be a voice of reason on every interesting video game out there. I should be too busy trying to make my own damn game.
So, methinks I'll nibble around the edges of that list a tad, but I've come to terms with the fact that I'll never be a professional video game player. Hahaha, who am I kidding, someone hand me my golden chalice and put me on Social Security right the hell now so I can play my gaaaaaaaames.